Installing custom SSIS DLLs

Peter Schmitz

Administrator
Staff member
At work, we use Google Analytics (GA) a lot. I recently came across a product that allows you to connect to GA from SSIS.

However, at the time of writing, it is only a bunch of DLLs, and requires registering these in the Global Assembly Cache by means of gacutil.exe. My SQL Server did not have Visual Studio installed, and thus no gacutil.

The solution is to install the Windows SDK. This initially was not possible, and the installation quit with a non-descriptive error message. Researching yielded that it might be related to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 files that were installed on the machine. The theory is that the SDK is attempting to register similar (but older) DLLs. Uninstalling the C++ files through "Control Panel" -> "Programs and Features" did the trick.

gacutil will then be present at: "C:\Program fils\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin" (location might differ for you). I added that to the PATH variable in order to be able to call it from a Dos Prompt.

Open a DOS Prompt (Command prompt) using "Run as administrator". The command to register the DLLs then is:

Code:
gacutil.exe /i <path-to-dll>

I.e., assuming the location of the DLLs is "c:\data":

Code:
gacutil /i c:\data\DotNesOpenAuth.dll

Update:
I found that I also needed to update my .NET Framework for this particular download. OTo be specific, these DLLs require .NET Framework 4.5.2.

Last edited: